Research & testing center
Fives research and testing center, benefiting from a new location, offers a comprehensive raw materials and process testing facility. Dedicated to cement and minerals industries, the pilot benches and physical & chemical laboratories are specially designed to perform raw materials testing, measuring and analyzing.
- Innovation: Development and testing of new equipment and process
- Representativity: Simulation in pilot facilities of materials behaviour and process at representative scale
- Accuracy: Characterization of materials properties to allow an optimized sizing of equipment and accurate project definition
In-house testing methods and standards for materials characterisation
- Decarbonation and burning behaviour
- Specific chemical analyses
- Wear of metallic materials
All tests are supported by in-house software.
Fives has developed and continuously improved over the years a precise and reliable grindability batch test, the so called "FCB Index".
The FCB index requires less than 50 kg of raw material to measure grinding specific energies and grain size distributions when using an optimized ball mill operating in a close circuit with a 3rd generation classifier (FCB TSV™ type).
Standard grindability tests, such as Bond Work Index and Hardgrove Index, are also performed on dedicated test benches.
Grinding and separation testing on pilot facilities
Fives has a unique modular grinding workshop with pilot scale versions of Fives equipment for cement and minerals applications (FCB Horomill®, FCB Rhodax® crusher, FCB TSV™ Classifier, FCB Aerodecantor...), with a production capacity up to several tonnes/hour.
Smaller sized equipment is also available in the workshop, as well as a roller press, a SAG mill and a rotary kiln.
Grain size distribution
Grain size distribution is measured down to 0.1 µm thanks to Sinex and Alpine sieving and Malvern laser Particle Size Analyzer.
Abrasivity and erosion
Abrasiveness of materials and wear resistance of metals are evaluated with a tribometer. The YGP test can also be performed.
For erosion, Fives has developed its own test bench and method.
Rheology of powders
- Angle of slope
- Angle of slide
- Bulk density, Hausner ratio
Microscopic observations can also be performed.
- Free lime content
- Free silica content
- Carbonates content
- Sulphur content
- Chlorine and fluorine content
- Loss on ignition
Reaction behaviour of materials
- Decarbonation evaluation through TG analysis
- Meal burnability test
- Burning kinetics of solid fuels
- Reaction enthalpies through DT analysis
Vibration and mechanical stresses expertise
- Acoustic spectrum
- Vibration analysis
- Modal analysis
- Mechanical stresses and displacements
- Pressure in hydraulic circuit
- Oil film thickness
Equipped with dedicated portable sensors and data logging, Fives' experts can go on site to carry out measurement and to perform complete analysis of the mechanical behaviour of heavy duty machines.